3/19/12

Magnum Ice Cream

There is a fever going on, thanks to the likes of Solenn Heussaff, Raymond Gutierrez, and Tessa Prieto who launched an all-out campaign on Twitter for Magnum, the latest chocolate bar to hit the town. And I got utterly curious... the moment I realized it was already available at 7-Eleven, PBcom Tower, I didn't let the day end without getting one.




There are three flavors to choose from, the classic, chocolate truffle, and almond. As of press time the only one that I haven't been able to try is the classic. It's Php 55 if you get it from 7-Eleven but the suggested retail price is Php 50.


Magnum's flavors

First that I tried, chocolate truffle. Here's how it looks like.


Chocolate truffle flavor

It's chocolate ice cream covered in thick belgian chocolate. It is thick, doesn't easily melt, and the chocolate coating is surprisingly good... 'cause yeah, that's belgian chocolate baby!




The almond flavor resembles a pinipig ice cream bar. I had high expectations for this one 'cause most people I know who tried all three variants, favored this one.


Almond flavor

Unfortunately, for me it didn't deliver. It tasted kind of bland actually and chewing those bits of almonds were a bit tedious.




The verdict? Magnum ice cream is good, sure I'd still recommend it to anyone who wants to give it a try. But to say that it's great will be taking it a bit too far. I think, Magnum's growing popularity should be credited from a very effective marketing strategy, not so much from how it tastes. Anyway, I'll let you be the judge of it. 



19 comments:

  1. I agree.. ang galing lang talaga ng marketing strategy nila.. oo masarap siya pero pricey pa din..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "First that I tried, chocolate truffle. Here's how it looks like post eating." - POST eating? The ice cream on the pic doesn't have a single bite, what do you mean by post eating? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been eating magnum since it came out. my favorite is choco truffle. but last night i have tried one pint of Dan Eric's, hahaha. and that was good too. i'd rather spend nalang my fifty bucks to a pint of a cheap Dan Erics ice cream. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. trip nila yun eh... yaan nyo na.. wala naman relevance sa sweldo natin yun eh

    ReplyDelete
  5. ako din, friends ko sa fb nagpopost ng magnum pics sa walls nila at di ko din ma-gets kung bakit. parang may sinalihan lang na contest, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still don't get what the craze is all about. I have Fb friends na hindi magkanda-ugaga kakapost ng pics na kumakain sila ng magnum. Meron pang isang one whole album ang ginawa. Nothing bad about it, but I can't help but wonder why... Hindi naman nagkaganito ang tao sa Cornetto LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, i followed you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks good to me!!!! yum!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hope it gets there soon too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmn, I wonder when it will hit the groceries in my province hehehe. Sana soon. I'm drooling for the almond flavored one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nothing special really sis. pero ok naman, masarap naman siya, nga lang over hyped lang talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been hearing a lot about magnum ice cream bar in the philippines nga. Many are really raving about it... I'm really getting curious :-D

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
  13. i agree sis. this just goes to show that advertising, when handled well, can do a product a lot of good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Krizzy_kalokangPinaySeptember 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

    Magnum has been available here for a while but I remember them launching a massive campaign to promote it. I agree, it actually looks better than it taste. There are more electable ice cream bars out there that tastes so much better =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sooo effective... it had us running to the nearest store hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the almond variant because the vanilla ice cream did not overshadow the flavor of the belgian chocolate :3 and i enjoyed chewing the bits of almond too :)

    but yeah, for an ice cream stick, it's too pricey :-/ kudos to them because their strategy was effective hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ay oo masarap din ang Dan Eric's.

    ReplyDelete

I do read and reply to comments. Let me know what you think. Thank you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...